Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Proof read.

Proof read:
Means : To read a book or articles before it is published in order to find and mark mistakes that need to be corrected

How good is your English Language?

To some of my colleagues, my English seems to be good but they do not know I always line up at the very last in my whole family. Let me tell you a short story of what happen to me . Since young I do not have the interest to study and as such my life should not end as a full time plantation boy, I started to concentrate on my education and .....not so late for me to turn over a new leave for the warning came from my eldest Boon in his letter to my late father on time. At that time, my brother was studying in MIT( Massachusetts Institute of Technology) wrote a strong letter to my Dad asking him to draw me out from the plantation work and concentrate in my study. Why did he know that I have a language problem. Well, shame to say that for every letter my mum and dad asked to reply for them to my brother, all the letters would be send back to me and all my mistakes would be proof read. Just imagine the cost of the extra postage sending them back to me. Well, being a brother ,he was not worry about that cost for his action are well justified.

To me, I was very surprised to receive each time a letter from my brother, thicker than you could imagine. Opening them , I would feel sad for I did not know why I could not improve my English. Well, till today, I still have problem as commented by my eldest sister.

Now ,Now, why they are good and I am bad in my English? Let find the root cause

Could it be this? The story goes...
During our younger days , my 2nd elder brother would always buy back some comics for example Superman , Green Lantern, Spiderman and not to forget my sister with her Mill& Boons story books and we would all look at comics only upstairs when my dad and mum were not around. Just imagined when she was there , we would hid them underneath their bed ( not for the M&B for there are no pictures in them) . Even then my English was not better for one day, my 2nd elder brother was called by his teacher , Miss Lim, to the staff room to complain and also ask why my English was so bad. Well, she was very kind and she was wondering why I have that problem and my brother does have not it

I started to improve my English from that day and managed to get a credit in MCE. Lucky for me, I have got a place in a Technical college as this was my sister recommendation to my parent. He is better in practical and not a scholar>>>!!! . Till today. I appreciated and thank to bottom of my heart to my eldest sister for guiding me into the right career , Civil Engineering.

Time goes by very fast and finally my Eldest brother graduated and returned to KL, transferred back from NY by his bank. Staying with them , I realized that they spend most of the time reading and would flip their head up just to watch the TV when hearing some special news from it. As usual, my brother would said to me in one of the night that I should pick something to read other than my technical books.

Just before I forget, he was also the one that encouraged me to take up computer studies. I did immediately but unfortunately I have to do it in Thailand. Anyway, when I was back to Penang constructing Hotel Equatorial, I went to Perkim Goon to study computer programming .

I remember this words from him. PT, do you know that MIT help to save cost for a project by using computer." as from that day , I took up Autocad lesson in Thai language and bought my own additonally computer chip to be places into the company computer in order to run Autoccad version 11 ( if I am not mistaken)

Now being a blogger, I would still have to correct my mistakes and I am very happy for I have found my proof reader, my sister. Thank sister...........



Reading my blog articles and editing them , very Serious lah


And even refer to a dictionary to prove the existence of a word......Serious teacher...

As for my sons, I do not know how they fair in their English and I presumed that XY will be better for he always carry a dictionary to class during school hour for his reference and finally lost it before graduating from CL. Just for better English , I decided to buy an updated dictionary ,Collins cobuild Advanced Dictionary.


No comments:

Post a Comment